Author Topic: MAF Conversion: It's Happening, Who Is Interested?  (Read 9350 times)

bmwconnect

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
MAF Conversion: It's Happening, Who Is Interested?
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2012, 11:33:02 AM »
Glad to see this have been done the correct way. Amazing work
BarrieM/// BMW Tuner - OBD1 M42,M30,M20,M50,S50 Chips & OBD2 M44,S52,M52 Flashes
EMAIL:midnight-tuning@rogers.com
http://www.facebook.com/Midnight.Tuning.Solutions
Midnight YouTube Channel

bme30

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2012, 01:15:48 PM »
This would go great with my itb setup :)

monty23psk

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2012, 11:10:14 AM »
Any updates on this? I know you are busy with wedding plans and I do know how much time that can take. And if you have kids, time, wait what is that..lol

OKTAY

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2012, 02:50:42 PM »
Yeah any news on this? I haven't been here for ages and just seen this thread. I would definitaly buy one.. In fact I'm the one who e-mailed you in 2006 to buy your kit but, at that time you weren't willing to sell because of this low rpm wot hesitation issue.

bmwman91

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
    • View Profile
    • http://www.e30tuner.com/
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2012, 12:21:01 PM »
Aloha from Maui. I'm out on my honeymoon for now, but I am expecting to finish this up when I get back. The whole, "engine blowing up and waiting for a custom built one for 6 months" thing sort of put a big delay on this project!

06/05/2011 - 212,354 miles
Visit HERE for a plethora of 318iS stuff and some other randomness.  Would you say I have a, plethora, of pinatas?

monty23psk

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2012, 03:43:29 PM »
Aloha, enjoy it.

DRTE30

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2012, 09:07:11 PM »
Are you still in Hawaii? If you make it over to Oahu, let me know- I live here. There are a lot of really nice e30 owners here

...and I'm interested in your conversion, but am running Ford injectors, Mark D 92 oct chip, COP kit and Ford o2 sensor; any inherent issues? Would simply adjusting the stock cams lend any benefits with your conversion?

bmwman91

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2012, 02:32:42 AM »
Still in Maui, flying out at 1PM tomorrow from OGG. Uugh, I don't want to go home...Hawaii kicks ass.

I plan to come back in the relatively near future...I'll let you know. It would be cool to meet some "tropical" E30 owners! How much do they sell for here, seeing as how the supply is pretty limited?

The MAF conversion will work with any setup. As far as a stock ECU is concerned, it is reading a stock AFM that just responds a lot faster lol.

Visit HERE for a plethora of 318iS stuff and some other randomness.  Would you say I have a, plethora, of pinatas?

nickmpower

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2012, 01:23:49 PM »
Whats up man, haven't been on here in a long time.

I am really interested in one of these, especially now that my engine is supercharged. I live in Santa Clara as well.

nickmpower

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2012, 01:39:30 PM »
So any updates?

Danny318

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2012, 12:50:17 PM »
Yeah I would certainly be interested in purchasing this if and when it is ready.

bmwman91

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2012, 12:51:02 AM »
Alrighty, quick update.

I have been working on this quite a bit in the last few weeks. I did some testing and found that there were a couple of areas that I could improve things when I was using the MAF with my mega custom M30 air box and Rally 2100 engine. Talk about a worst-case setup! The hot cams and larger air box volume actually make some crazy resonances. Totally manageable, but I am reworking parts of the controller firmware to handle it properly. I also discovered some circuit design improvements that I can make, that also add another degree of protection to the Motronic's 5V output. So I am working on a way to apply the new circuit connections without re-ordering $500 worth of PCBs, if possible. If I can't find a super robust hot-fix, then I'll order new ones to be certain of the quality.

Another part of my testing involves building a 50,000 sample per second data logger (10,000 samples per second x 5 channels) with hefty analog and digital filtering. I want to collect PRISTINE voltage information on the inputs and outputs of the MAF converter, the stock AFM and the AFR from my wide-band setup. That will allow me to make the final fine-tuning adjustments to this. The hardware for the logger is 95% done, and the firmware should be complete in a couple of days. I'll be in Austin all this week for work...which means LOTS of time to work on this project at night in my hotel room! If anyone here is in the Austin area and wants to grab a beer, let me know.

From there, I just need to order up a solder paste stencil and get an old toaster oven so that I can reflow solder all of the awful little 0402 components (0.04"x0.02" / 1.0x0.5mm) and other crud on one side of the PCB faster. My hands and eyes will break if I have to individually solder 50+ little components 20 more times lol.

doitover

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2012, 10:02:07 AM »
Your work is humbling, to say the least. Out of curiosity, how much of your last tweaking is actually functionally necessary and how much is striving for perfection?

doitover

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2012, 07:23:28 PM »
Another question out of curiosity, knowing you have thought of this. In your sampler, why implement filtering in the firmware when you can post process on your PC?

bmwman91

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2012, 08:30:48 PM »
I'd say 60% for perfection, 40% for necessity. There actually are some improvements that I hadn't thought of that will make this a better product for people. I wouldn't try to go for 100% perfection...this thing would NEVER be done! It's 95% of the way there anyway.

Digital filtering helps me to lower the analog anti-aliasing filter requirements. It sounds super complicated, but really the filter can be designed to my requirements in about 5 minutes in MatLab and I have implemented them many times so it is easy to implement them in firmware. The DSP microcontroller in the logger can actually apply the filter much more easily than PC software since the microcontroller has specific single-cycle instructions for exactly what I want to do!

I am interested in signal data in the 0-1000Hz band, nothing else. Years ago I made a little data logger module to read similar voltages, but I ignored the whole aliasing thing and got lots of ugly readings. Lesson learned. If I want clean data to simulate my converter's performance with, then it all needs to be very clean. The analog input sections on the MAF converter filter out anything above 1000Hz so much that I don't need to worry about the effects of high frequency noise. I already proved out that stuff a while ago with a frequency generator and oscilloscope. The big challenge is handling the low frequency pulses as intake valves open and resonate in the intake track.